[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL] Development Standards for "Missing Middle" Housing?

Vera Kolias KoliasV at milwaukieoregon.gov
Thu Apr 4 09:17:37 EDT 2024

Good morning all and greetings from a former Massachusetts planner who is still on the listserv because she likes knowing what's going on,

In 2021, the Oregon state legislature required that all communities adopt code that allowed middle housing in any zones that also allowed single detached dwellings.  We define middle housing as:  duplex, triplex, quadplex, cottage cluster, and townhouses.  Those housing types must be permitted by right, cannot have any requirements more stringent than single detached dwellings, and there is no maximum density.  Please note that my city permits plexes to be attached or detached.

State law also requires that we allow expedited land division for middle housing (each dwelling on its own lot, no minimum setbacks or maximum lot coverage), but that's a topic for another day, I think.

Some basic info for my city's code:

  *   We have two residential zones: Moderate Density and High Density.
  *   Single detached homes require a minimum lot size of 5,000 sq ft
  *   Middle housing (except for townhouses), require a minimum lot size of 3,000 sq ft.
  *   We let the development standards dictate the number of units on a site.
  *   Maximum number of dwellings on a single lot (except for cottage clusters) is 4 units

Moderate density zone development standards:  https://ecode360.com/43866086

High density residential zone development standards:  https://ecode360.com/43866110

If it's helpful, here are the middle housing design standard worksheets we use:

  *   One to 4 dwelling units:  https://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/planning/page/123753/one_to_four_units_design_standards_form_revised.pdf
  *   Cottage cluster development:  https://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/planning/page/123753/design_standards_form_cottages_revised_new.pdf
  *   Townhouse development:  https://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/planning/page/123753/design_standards_form_townhouses_revised_april2023.pdf

Happy to answer any questions.

I hear y'all got snow today - enjoy??

Cheers,
Vera

VERA KOLIAS, AICP

Senior Planner
she * her

503.786.7653
City of Milwaukie
10501 SE Main St * Milwaukie, OR 97222

Please note that my work schedule is Monday - Thursday from 6 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.