[Massplanners] Non-resident members

ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com
Wed Apr 3 12:16:22 EDT 2024

Colleagues:

c.41, §109 Resignation; notice; residence requirements, says:

No resignation of a town or district officer shall be deemed effective
unless and until such resignation is filed with the town or district clerk
or such later time certain as may be specified in such resignation. Upon
receipt of a resignation the clerk shall notify the remaining members, if
the resignation is received from a board of two or more members, and he
shall further notify the executive officers of the town or district and such
notification shall include the effective date of the resignation. Unless
otherwise provided by general or special law, ordinance or by-law, a person
need not, in order to accept appointment to a public office in a town or
district, be a resident of such town or district; provided, however, that if
an appointed town or district officer is required to become a resident
within a period of time specified at the time of his appointment by the
board or officer making the appointment but fails to do so within the time
specified, or if an elected or appointed town or district officer removes
from the town or district in which he holds his office, he shall be deemed
to have vacated his office.

Curious about examples out there where non-residents have been appointed to
local boards, whether as regular members or associates? I, for one, continue
to serve as an appointed associate member on the appointed zoning board of
appeals in the town I moved from last year. I also now serve as an elected
planning board member in my new town.

Best regards,

Jeff Lacy

Rural Planning Associates