[Massplanners] Dynamic Master Plan

Schreiber, Gideon gschreiber at watertown-ma.gov
Fri Sep 22 13:51:23 EDT 2023

In Watertown, the last plan was completed in 2015 and we just did a substantial update started in 2022 and approved yesterday by the Planning Board and endorsed by the City Council.  The update included a confirmation of the existing vision but not a full process around that as well as specific focus on key chapters/elements to ensure they are reflective of current conditions and trends (and pandemics) that were not planned for in the previous plan.   We have and will use it as a policy document for guiding critical implementation and it now references a number of recently approved plans without repeating all of the specific strategies in those topic specific plans.  It also included a OSRP update with a shared public process to ensure they were coordinated and consistent.  The 6-8 year timeline for doing updates allows for revisiting assumptions, baseline date,  and general conversation about the plan and the goals.  This timeframe is common in other states like Washington State were it is mandated by state law.  With a more frequent revisiting of the plans, goals and strategies can be updated to be a better guide and coordinated with the community's Zoning, CIP and other implementation tools.

Hope this helps,
Gideon

Gideon Schreiber, AICP, Assistant Director of Planning

Community Development & Planning
City of Watertown, 149 Main Street, Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 972-6417 ext 12164

When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and therefore cannot be kept confidential.