[Massplanners] (no subject)

Jeffrey Bagg jbagg at easthamptonma.gov
Wed Oct 11 07:30:00 EDT 2023

Hi Bob and others,

In 2018, Easthampton embarked on a multi-year project to plan for the known
disposition of 3 large, centrally located and historic elementary school
buildings which became vacant as of September 2021.

In 2018, we received a $50,000 EEA Planning Grant to do a "downtown
strategic plan" within which we explored the feasibility and community
support for future uses.

In 2020, we received a $20,000 EEA Planning Grant to hire a consultant to
help us create an RFP.

In 2021, we received a $100,000 grant from MassDevelopment through the One
Stop for Growth program to complete existing condition site and
neighborhood surveys, appraisals and prepare public infrastructure design
plans.

We released the RFP in October of 2022 (
https://easthamptonma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4503/Easthampton-Elementary-Schools-RFP---Final)
and just this last May we selected amongst three proposals one developer
who is proposing to convert the three schools into approximately 58
affordable housing units.

All the information is here:
https://easthamptonma.gov/554/Elementary-School-Reuse

We also have another project funded by CPA in collaboration with Valley CDC
which examined potential sites for affordable housing which led to the
potential renovation of a City owned building and property, an original
"poor farm".  After some baseline due diligence by Valley CDC and others
(funded by CPA), we applied in the last round of the One Stop for Growth
with Valley CDC for an underutilized properties grant to prepare detailed
architectural drawings and cost estimates for renovation and an addition
into affordable housing.

Jeff Bagg
Planning Director
Easthampton, MA