[Massplanners] Downtown Wayfinding Signage on MassDOT-Jurisdiction Roadways

Eric Smith esmith at townofathol.org
Mon May 15 15:22:04 EDT 2023

Hello MassPlanners,

Last year the Town of Athol had a MDI Grant Project for a Downtown Wayfinding and Branding initiative.   Some of our signage placement locations are proposed off the interchanges along Route 2 in Athol. But these are State-owned highways.   We were told this morning by MassDOT that they do not allow these types of wayfinding signs on State-owned Highways.

I wanted to see if there's been any successful implementation of any Mass. communities who have been able to have any Wayfinding signs on State roads to direct folks to your Downtown.    For those of you who have undertaken a MDI wayfinding/branding project, were you hindered in what you had hoped to do because of this MassDOT issue?  Were you able to install the signs you had planned?    Or needed to find an alternative solution?

Look forward in hearing back from you who have dealt with this issue.

Thanks! Eric

Eric R. Smith, AICP

Director of Planning and Development

Town of Athol