[Massplanners] Resources / Successful Examples on Addressing Microaggressions/Racist Language in Public Meetings

Corrin Meise-Munns cmeisemunns at longmeadow.org
Wed Mar 29 10:45:18 EDT 2023

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your thoughts. To clarify, I meant the term "script" to mean
something that the Chair reads verbatim at the start of each meeting, which
would more set an intention for respectful dialogue than dictate the actual
words people should use. It would not be a script as in a menu of words
that members were allowed to use.

For clarity, because it seems a lot of people are thinking he used the term
"oriental" -- the term that the person used was "yellow", which I did
Google frantically during the meeting and found that it is in fact
considered a slur by many Asian-American authors writing on the subject. Is
it the same as using the N word or the C word (? -- but don't want to get
into typing all of these words!)? Maybe not, but I also don't think that's
for me to decide as a white person. Something especially bothers me about
this instance, and why I don't want to leave it to others to correct, is
that we have two youth liaisons on this committee, one of whom is
Asian-American and the other of whom is the only other POC on the
Committee. This is their first time participating in an official public
body, and they both look to established leadership for guidance on how to
act and participate. While it may be that older generations grew up with
this word being part of acceptable terminology, this younger generation
certainly knows that this word is unacceptable and offensive and I can't
help but feel that insofar as neither I nor the Chair addressed it in the
moment, that we have failed them and my concern is that they may feel
uncared for or even unprotected in a system which already doesn't make
itself accessible to people of their age.