[Massplanners] Resources / Successful Examples on Addressing Microaggressions/Racist Language in Public Meetings

Jeff Lacy ruralplanningassociates at crocker.com
Wed Mar 29 10:34:42 EDT 2023

Corrin:

Being careful not to also put my foot in mouth, was what he said not a ever a slur, but rather an outdated term? I’m thinking something like, “oriental.” I’ve been taken to task for this offense, and yet a Chinese-owned restaurant in Amherst recently opened as “Oriental Flavor.”

Moreover, if clearly not intended as a slur, in fact positive, I think it’s best to leave this person’s vocabulary alone. If someone individually wishes to take it up with the person - fine.

I also think the “script” about how people must choose their words at meetings sounds like an overreach, too controlling, approaching censorship.

Jeff Lacy
Rural Planning Associates
(413) 230-9693

Sent from my iPhone