[Massplanners] Resources / Successful Examples on Addressing Microaggressions/Racist Language in Public Meetings

Corrin Meise-Munns cmeisemunns at longmeadow.org
Wed Mar 29 09:03:12 EDT 2023

Hello all,

There was an incident at a public meeting I was staffing earlier this week
where a Committee member used a (totally surprising, archaic, uncommon)
racial slur to refer to residents of Asian descent. This person clearly did
not understand that the term he used is offensive, and he was actually
trying to make a positive point about how he is glad to see kids of all
skin colors playing together at recess.

Both the Chair and I were taken aback and the matter went unaddressed
during the remainder of the conversation. We are now trying to strategize
on two actions: 1. to send an email to the whole Committee acknowledging
the event, and addressing it directly while trying not to shame the
Committee member; and 2. develop a script to be read and agreed to at the
start of each meeting that would set a standard for the type of language
Committee members should use to refer to people, groups, ethnicities, etc.
based on respect and inclusivity. (I am aware of the recent SJC decision
re: the Southboro civility case.) No members of the public were in
attendance so I don't personally feel that this one particular event needs
to be addressed in a public venue.

Do you have any resources or examples you could share about how you have
addressed events like this before? I would be interested in seeing anything
related to either 1 or 2 -- and I am sure this information would help a few
other communities out there as well! By the way -- we are in the process of
setting up our inaugural DEI Committee (advisory to the Select Board), so
while I hope that that body will have resources to share in the future,
they have not yet formed. We are also kicking off an internal DEI strategic
planning process this spring.

Corrin

--
*Corrin Meise-Munns* *(she/her)*
Assistant Town Manager / Director of Planning & Community Development