[Massplanners] Request for information re zoning for battery energy storage systems

Brant Cheikes brant at pedal-dancer.net
Mon Mar 20 10:47:52 EDT 2023

Greetings, colleagues,

The Whately Planning Board is contemplating revisions to our solar and aquifer-protection bylaws intended to address battery energy storage systems (BESS) and the hazards they may pose to public health and safety due to fires, floods, etc. We are considering regulating BESS either as components of utility-scale "solar plus storage" facilities or as standalone facilities.

We are seeking information and advice from any communities that have incorporated BESS into their zoning bylaws. In particular we would like to know:

  *   How have you defined BESS for the purposes of zoning regulations?
  *   What sorts of limits have you placed on BESS either as components of solar generating facilities or as standalone facilities?
  *   How have you addressed the risks that large-scale battery systems might pose to abutters, water supplies, etc.?

Thank you!

Brant Cheikes
Member, Whately Planning Board
https://www.whately.org/planning-board