[Massplanners] Lot Regularity Bylaw Language

Rick Taintor rtaintor at outlook.com
Wed Jan 4 14:34:11 EST 2023

Annie,

Framingham’s regulation is wordy but it works:

  *   When the distance between any two points on lot lines is less than 50 feet, measured in a straight line, the smaller portion of the lot which is bounded by such straight line and such lot lines shall be excluded from the computation of the minimum lot area unless the distance along such lot lines between such two points is less than 150 feet in such cases where the Minimum Lot Area is less than 20,000 square feet, as set forth in the Table of Dimensional Regulations, Section IV.E.2. Otherwise, when the distance between any two points is less than 80 feet, measured in a straight line, the smaller portion of the lot which is bounded by such straight line and such lot lines shall be excluded from the computation of the minimum lot area, unless the distance along such lot lines between such two points is less than 240 feet. In all cases, the principal use shall not be located on such excluded area of the lot.
[page212image1521844880]

Portsmouth, NH uses a similar approach for calculating open space:

  *   The calculation of open space on a lot shall not include any area with a horizontal dimension that is 5 feet or less, unless the perimeter of the open space connecting the endpoints of the 5-foot dimension line is less than 15 feet in length.
[cid:image002.png at 01D92049.97815FC0]

These can be tailored to the specific minimum lot areas for your zoning districts.

(I’ve included the illustrations from the ordinances but don’t know if they will translate to the listserv. Contact me if you want to see them.)

Rick Taintor
Newburyport