[Massplanners] Subdivsion Lot surving as 'non-conforming' after zoning change?

Daniel Fortier daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 13:15:24 EDT 2023

Thanks Pam,

>From Don's paper, which I have followed closely:

The subdivision plan protection is a build protection and protects the
issuance of a building permit from all zoning changes for an eight year
period.

   - a.
   Owner of a subdivision lot that is conveyed into separate ownership
   after the effective date of any increased zoning requirement must obtain
   the necessary building permit before the expiration of the eight year
   definitive plan protection period. Wright v. Board of Appeals of Falmouth,
   24 Mass. App. Ct. 409 (1987); Tsagronis v. Board of Appeals of Wareham, 415
   Mass. 329 (1993).

Clearly states it is a protection to allow a building permit to be issued
within the protected period, not a separation protection.

Dan Fortier,  AICP
Retired Town Planner