[Massplanners] Battery Energy Storage Systems

Carolyn Britt cjbritt at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 15:36:07 EDT 2023

All,

A week or two ago a few of you posted on the Listserve about adopting
the Medway zoning by-law for Battery Energy Storage. I read over the
by-law and discussed it with the manager of the Ipswich Electric light
Department. We discussed the storage system currently in development by
the ELD and also other potential sites in town that might be developed
for storage. There were few.

This by-law seems very detailed and in some cases excessive, at least
for our Municipal Light Plant community. The replacement of cut
vegetation on site seems extraordinary - where else do we have that
requirement? While it seems like a good idea, why don't we require this
for all developments - residential or commercial? It seems like this is
pressing hard on an important way out of the mess we have made.

Home energy storage systems seem to be generally below the threshold for
Tier 1. With our ELD being the most likely developer, most of the
provisions can be included in a Purchase Power Agreement with the
provider, and the land lease to the provider. Certainly the
commissioning and decommissioning plans and requirements are key.

I am curious to ask - for the communities that have adopted this by-law,
why did you do it? Did you have a proposal in your town that you were
anticipating, for a utility or a business or non-profit, or did you
adopt  it to be ready should a project arise? What did you think about
the provisions? Did any seem excessive?

In discussion with the ELD Director, I think we agreed that only a minor
change to our use regulations to add storage to the line that allows
municipal power plants, wind turbines, etc. and leave the rest of it to
state law and legal agreements with providers.

Thank you for making this by-law available, and I would like to hear
from those of you who have adopted it.

Carolyn Britt,Member, Ipswich Planning Board

1 Shagbark Woods

Ipswich, MA 01938

978-356-9881 (landline) or 978-317-2145 (cell)