[Massplanners] Home-based childcare zoning

Tom Skwierawski tskwierawski at revere.org
Tue Apr 25 12:47:45 EDT 2023

Revere is in the process of amending our zoning ordinance to expand the capacity of home-based childcare providers in the city, aligning with state regulations. Local capacity is currently limited to 4, although the state allows for up to 10 children, provided you meet the EEC's rigorous licensing criteria. I am curious to hear from other communities on a few questions related to home-based providers:

-Does your ZO address this issue? If not, how does your city address home-based providers? On a cursory glance, I've noticed many communities have dozens of providers licensed, but appear to be silent on the use in their zoning ordinances.
-If it is in your ZO, is it allowed by-right? Special Permit? Who is the Special Permit Granting Authority?
-Are there any performance standards you attach to the use? I'm particularly thinking about parking and traffic, which is a perceived issue if not a real one (like many zoning issues, of course!)
-Are there any particular restrictions to the use (e.g. on-site pools, multiple sites within an apartment complex, etc.)

Would appreciate any feedback you all have. Thanks!

Best,

[cid:image001.png at 01D97773.87F62460]

Tom Skwierawski
Chief of Planning and Community Development
Dept. of Planning and Community Development
Email: tskwierawski at revere.org
Phone: 781-286-8181 x 20324