[Massplanners] Appointing authorities

robert leavens rtleavemware at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 08:21:03 EDT 2022

A Friday question for a Friday,

Most recently there has been at least one community who is confused about
who the appointing authority is for the town planner position.  This is in
a community with a town manager form of government.  The position appears
not to be a department head, although there is some debate about that
designation.

The Planning Board rules and regulations indicate that the Planning Board
is the appointing authority.  This Planning Board is an elected board,
which makes them a little more independent than a board appointed by the
town manager.

I am wondering how many elected planning boards have rules and regulations
that allow them to appoint their town planner, with the town manager being
in charge of the administration and finance of the planner position.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this and offer my thanks,

Betsy Ware
Independent Planning Consultant