[Massplanners] Forming Master Plan Steering Committees?

Jessica Porter jessicaleeporter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:36:59 EDT 2022

Hi Corrin,

In Dedham, the Planning Board initiated the process. The steering committee
was set up to have 2 members of the Planning Board, 1 from the Select
Board, 1 School Committee member, 1 Parks and Recreation Commissioner, 2
residents at large appointed by the Select Board, and 5 residents at large
appointed by the Planning Board, for a total of 12 members.  However, the
Planning Board expanded the size after having a hard time choosing between
applicants, and we ended up with a committee of 16, plus our Planning
Director and Assistant Town Planner. It was a great group, but I’d
recommend keeping the size closer to 11-13 not including staff. I did think
it worked well to have the majority of the members be at large rather than
representing elected or appointed boards - we had a great range of relevant
professional expertise as a result.

You didn’t ask this, but we worked with MAPC and were very pleased. You can
find info on our plan here in case that’s helpful:
www.designingdedham2030.org

Best,
Jessica

Jessica Porter
Member, Dedham Planning Board

On September 30, 2022 at 8:36:40 AM, Corrin Meise-Munns via MassPlanners (