[Massplanners] Special permit online applications

Messplay, Daniel dmessplay at cambridgema.gov
Wed Nov 16 11:42:22 EST 2022

Cambridge has building permits online. For special permits, while we accept draft materials and emailed digital submissions, we do not enable direct application online. Mainly because:

  1.  Some Planning Board members prefer plan sets in full-size paper copies, rather than digital
  2.  Some City staff prefer full-size paper copies
  3.  [Probably the most important] Special Permit applications are a bit ‘squishier’ than building permit applications, and it’s not always apparent to an Applicant what special permits they’ll ultimately need for a proposal (or the exact submittal requirements for a particular special permit) at the outset. We provide informational materials online, but try to encourage Applicants to meet with staff first to identify the critical approval pathway and deliverables before submitting an application.

Here's a link to our special permits webpage:
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/zoninganddevelopment/specialpermits

Hope that’s helpful-

Daniel

Daniel Messplay, AICP
Senior Zoning + Development Manager
Cambridge Community Development Department
344 Broadway, Cambridge, MA. 02139