[Massplanners] Properties in a Historic District

Paige paigeplanner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:51:30 EST 2022

All,

Looking to see if anyone has suggestions regarding properties in a
Historic District. Basically a property in our District was sold and the
owners were unaware it was in a HD. Through a series of errors, they were
allowed to build a structure without review by the HD Commission.

We know the Building Dept needs to catch these things but by the time they
would have gone to Building, they already owned the property in a HD. We
are hoping to make sure folks are notified during the pre-sale due
diligence (or to make sure out of town realtors are aware and disclose).

I have been asked to see if there are any ways to ensure folks are informed
a property is in a HD up front. I know sign posting is one way but beyond
that ...

Does anyone know of a way to do a single filing at the registry that would
flag the properties in the HD when deed research is being done?  Any other
ideas or techniques?

The other issue is making sure residents are reminded every so often. We
will likely recommend the HD Commission send out an annual mailing covering
the key points of being in a HD but wonder if other communities have come
up against this issue and if they have any ideas or thoughts.

Thank you in advance for any advice/input.

~Paige

--

Paige E. Duncan, AICP, Director of Land Use and Economic Development

pduncan at foxboroughma.gov