[Massplanners] Accessory Dwelling Units and Tiny Moveable Houses

janetmcgowan30 at comcast.net janetmcgowan30 at comcast.net
Thu May 26 14:45:31 EDT 2022

Amherst has made permitting for accessory dwelling units easier with permits being granted by the Building Commission or the ZBA depending on the size of the ADU and the primary dwelling.  Look at Section 5.001 at page 62 of our Zoning Bylaw: https://www.amherstma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/59862/Complete-Zoning-Bylaw-January-2022 <https://www.amherstma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/59862/Complete-Zoning-Bylaw-January-2022>.

Amherst Town Meeting shot down a zoning amendment years ago that would have allowed tiny houses for a bunch of reasons.  Concerns were raised about having tiny houses in people’s driveways with no septic or water system, being rented to 4 college students and then one famous comment: “What kind of big person would live in one of those?”   These are all concerns of mine, especially since the majority of Amherst’s population are college students and keeping neighborhoods balanced and stable is an important issue here. I also tiny houses on trailers as the equivalent of allowing people to live in an RV on driveways.  I can see the value of allowing  clusters of small homes or cottage in and near village centers—with plumbing and electricity and water.

Amherst is also one of few communities in Massachusetts that has 10% or more affordable housing, so I suggest going that route too.