[Massplanners] Dissolving a paper street

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Fri Mar 11 08:07:26 EST 2022

Hi Mike,

Back in 2014 we had a similar case here in Middleton.  In this case, all properties with rights to the paper street already had frontage on another road and were using the paper street as part of their properties - in essence, they became abutters.    This worked for everyone involved until one property owner's septic system failed and he needed more land to create a new septic field.  The abutting owner was willing to sell him his part of the old paper street - but they needed to make the abandonment of this paper street "official."  The link below is to the ANR that was filed to "extinguish" the paper street and to show the parcels that would eventually be transferred.

https://salemdeeds.com/salemdeeds/PlanDisplay.aspx?type=rec&src=plbp&book=444&page=99&booktype=Plan&machine=*

I believe our Select Board also took action under MGL c40s15 to "abandon" or "extinguish" any rights the town had in the way.  I do remember there was some uncertainty if they even had to do this as the subdivision predated Subdivision Control and the town never accepted fee or easements in the paper road at any time.  If you are interested I can research whether they took official action on this.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleVII/Chapter40/Section15?

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street    Middleton, MA   01949