[Massplanners] State highways into boulevards

Wayne Feiden wfeiden at northamptonma.gov
Thu Mar 10 15:56:16 EST 2022

We took over about 1/2 mile of a road in Northampton (Pleasant Street/Route
10) for exactly that reason (traffic calming, bicycle lanes, and especially
parking).  MassDOT was a pleasure to deal with, but it was a very slow
process. MassDOT had to approve, they needed Federal Highway approval, and
we asked them to make some design and physical changes before we took over
so that we would not immediately have to spend too much.

Wayne Feiden, FAICP, Director Planning & Sustainability
City of Northampton
210 Main St, City Hall, Northampton, MA  01060
(413) 587-1265
www.NorthamptonMA.gov/PLAN   <http://www.NorthamptonMA.gov/plan>