[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL] Planner Burnout

Mariah Kurtz mariah.kurtz at erving-ma.gov
Mon Mar 7 11:27:09 EST 2022

I have so much gratitude to everyone who reached out - phone calls, emails, and a kind local colleague who took me out to lunch on Friday. I went into our Special Town Meeting feeling much more confident and less stressed out than I would have without all of the kind words. I had two zoning amendments being proposed - one which would create a Planned Unit Development overlay district and one which would update the zoning map with district boundary adjustments. After a long discussion, the PUD lost the 2/3 vote required by 1 vote. But the map was approved unanimously and no one cussed me out, so I'll take the win.

It's clear from the deluge of responses I received that most, if not all, planners struggle with feeling overworked and underappreciated. In some ways that's comforting (I'm not alone!) and in other ways that's disconcerting for our profession. I hope that we're all able to take care of ourselves, but I also wonder what changes or support we need to advocate for to keep our work sustainable.

I've tried to condense the advice I got from folks for you all to consider as well:

  *   Take care of your basic needs: get enough sleep, drink water, eat well
  *   Take breaks and go outside. We need sunshine and fresh air.
  *   Create flexibility in your schedule. If you have night meetings, don't come in at your usual time. Communicate your schedule clearly to your non-night meeting coworkers who may not understand why you're coming in "late"
  *   Say no to things and take things off of your plate rather than just trying to constantly be more efficient with an ever-growing pile of work.
  *   Connect with other planners more casually, without a constant webinar or meeting. Get lunch, have a call just to catch up.
  *   Remember that our force of good in our communities is not dependent on one project. The overall effect is still good.
  *   Remember that the Town will still be ok even without one particular initiative or project. Life goes on and it will be ok.
  *   Remember that there is always more to do than we can do. Pace yourself.
  *   Remember that you are not a public servant, but a public professional
  *   Find the little wins and celebrate them.
  *   Connect with people in your community outside of contentious topics or long public hearings.
  *   Spend a bit of time after a meeting to take notes, finish paperwork, or otherwise prepare yourself for an easier day tomorrow.
  *   Have an activity or routine to do right after work to switch yourself out of work mode. A walk around the block, preparing a snack, a 5 minute meditation, hang out with a pet, etc. Pay attention to your achievements outside of work too.
  *   Don't put Town email on your phone, or if you do, at least turn off the notifications
  *   Leave your job if you need to for your sanity. Your whole life shouldn't be your work and if folks in your Town are expecting that of you, move on to a new Town.
  *   It's ok to get frustrated, but don't dwell on it. Feel it and let it pass, then keep moving forward.
  *   Build your group of allies and your network and ask for support when you need it
  *   Advocate for your ability to work flexible hours and work from home.
  *   And lastly, a tip from me which I tested out this weekend and now comes highly recommended: schedule a massage for after town meeting.

So many of you reached out and I'd love to connect with you all but it's going to take me a while to sift through emails. Be well and take care of yourselves.

Mariah Kurtz (she/her)

Assistant Town Planner

Town of Erving

12 East Main Street

Erving, Massachusetts 01344

Phone: (413) 422-2800 ext. 1108 |  Online: www.Erving-Ma.gov<http://www.erving-ma.gov/>  | Facebook: Town of Erving<https://www.facebook.com/townoferving>

When writing or responding, please remember that the Secretary of State has determined that email is a public record, is subject to the Public Records Law, M.G.L. c. 66, § 10, and covered by Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521. This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or believe that you have received the communication in error, you are strictly prohibited from printing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using this communication.