[Massplanners] Tree Protection & Nat. Resource Protection Bylaws

Dwight Merriam dwightmerriam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:44:31 EDT 2022

Good morning.

The Rathkopf treatise, which I co-author, addresses tree preservation
ordinances in depth.  You might ask your legal counsel or someone else with
access to Westlaw to provide a copy of the chapter to you.  I can't
because of copyright limitations.  Here is what's covered, which in itself,
might be helpful as to what you should consider:

CHAPTER 20.   TREE AND VEGETATION           PROTECTION I.        OVERVIEW

§ 20:1     Generally

II.        GENERAL VALIDITY OF LOCAL TREE AND VEGETATION CONSERVATION
ORDINANCES

§ 20:2     Generally

A.        PUBLIC PURPOSE

§ 20:3      Generally

§ 20:4      Visual and aesthetic values—Beauty and appearance

§ 20:5      —Scale/livability

§ 20:6      —Creating special places/distinct identity

§ 20:7      Environmental values

§ 20:8      —Soil erosion control and control of soil and water pollution

§ 20:9      —Air pollution

§ 20:10     —Climate moderation/energy conservation

§ 20:11     —Noise buffers

§ 20:12     —Water conservation

§ 20:13     —Wildlife habitats and ecosystem protection

§ 20:14     Health benefits

§ 20:15     Economic values

§ 20:16     —Real estate values

§ 20:17     —Community-wide economic impact

B.        ENABLING AUTHORITY

§ 20:18     Specific enabling legislation

§ 20:19     Environmental protection

§ 20:20     Planning/zoning/subdivision laws

§ 20:21     Home rule/charter authority

III.        TYPES OF PROPERTY AND ACTIVITIES SUBJECT TO CONTROL

§ 20:22     Generally

A.        TYPES OF PROPERTY SUBJECT TO CONTROL

§ 20:23     Specimen and special trees

§ 20:24     Size

§ 20:25     Species

§ 20:26     Historical associations

§ 20:27     Woodland protection/%tree cover

§ 20:28     Distance/buffer requirements

§ 20:29     Special area protection

B.        PRIVATE ACTIVITIES SUBJECT TO CONTROL

§ 20:30     Development activity

§ 20:31     Pruning

§ 20:32     Afforestation

§ 20:33     Construction protection measures

§ 20:34     —Impact injuries/accidental cutting

§ 20:35     —Excavation

§ 20:36     —Grade changes

§ 20:37     —Other construction hazards

§ 20:38     —Construction monitoring

§ 20:39     Maintenance after development

C.        PUBLIC AGENCIES

§ 20:40     Generally

§ 20:41     Local agencies

§ 20:42     State agencies

§ 20:43     Federal agencies

§ 20:44     —National Environmental Policy Act

§ 20:45     —Department of Transportation Act

§ 20:46     —Section 102 of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Act

§ 20:47     —Section 404 of the Clean Water Act

§ 20:48     —Endangered Species Act

D.        PUBLIC UTILITIES

§ 20:49     Generally

E.        EXEMPTIONS

§ 20:50     Generally

§ 20:51     Residential

§ 20:52     Agricultural/commercial forestry/nursery operations

§ 20:53     Parcel size

§ 20:54     Special features & developed parcels

§ 20:55     Diseased/dangerous trees and other emergencies

IV.        STANDARDS FOR PERMIT REVIEWS

§ 20:56     In general

§ 20:57     Validity

§ 20:58     Local examples

§ 20:59     —Permit/plan review standards

§ 20:60     —Replacement/mitigation standards

§ 20:61     Economic considerations

§ 20:62     Standards and the flexibility issue

V.        THE TAKING ISSUE

§ 20:63     In general

§ 20:64     Regulatory takings

§ 20:65     —Early regulatory takings cases

§ 20:66     —Modern regulatory takings cases

§ 20:67     Exactions

VI.        ENFORCEMENT

§ 20:68     Generally

§ 20:69     Who enforces

§ 20:70     Fines and penalties

§ 20:71     Securities & certificates of occupancy

§ 20:72     Other administrative measures

VII.        COMPLEMENTS TO REGULATION

§ 20:73     Generally

§ 20:74     Incentives

§ 20:75     —Landscaping requirements

§ 20:76     —Land use regulatory incentives

§ 20:77     ‘‘Compensation’’ mechanisms

§ 20:78     —Differential assessment

§ 20:79     —Transferable development rights

§ 20:80     —Density clustering

§ 20:81     —Land acquisition

§ 20:82     Education

Regards,