[Massplanners] Extension of Remote Meetings?

Daniel Fortier daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:10:01 EDT 2022

Correction March of 2023 extension

Dan Fortier
Retired
Interim Dennis Planner

especially from unknown senders.

[image: image]

Legislature Passes Remote Meeting ExtensionThrough March 31, 2023

On Thursday afternoon, the House and Senate passed legislation (S. 3007)
extending key pandemic-era accommodations, including remote meeting
authorizations, to March 31, 2023. Once the Governor signs the bill, cities
and towns will retain the option to hold public meetings remotely,
following the same guidelines that have been in place since the COVID
public health emergency was first declared in March of 2020.

Back in May, a remote meeting extension was included in the final FY23
Senate Budget as an outside section, but this language was advanced by the
Senate as a standalone bill last week with the July 15th expiration
approaching and the final budget still tied up in negotiations. The House
later passed its own version of the bill, including language that would
have created a permanent mandate for remote access to all public meetings
aside from those in executive session, with a provision requiring remote
participation by the public if public participation is allowed or required
at the meeting. This would have gone into effect on April 1, 2023.

The MMA worked with our members and stakeholders across the Commonwealth to
make it clear to the Legislature that despite the good intentions behind H.
4991, such an unfunded mandate would have presented unworkable financial,
technological, logistical, and practical challenges for cities and towns.

The MMA is pleased the Legislature took these concerns very seriously and
removed this unfunded mandate from the bill, extending current remote
meeting options through March 31st of next year. The MMA will continue to
push for a permanent solution that gives municipalities the necessary
flexibility and funding they will need to expand participation and
engagement through remote and hybrid meetings.

The bill is now on the Governor’s desk awaiting action, and will go into
effect immediately once signed. Communities with public meetings scheduled
today or early next week are encouraged to consult with their municipal
legal counsel on the best course of action.

Please thank your Representatives and Senators for extending the remote
meeting options, and for recognizing the challenges that would have been
created with an unworkable mandate.