[Massplanners] Land separated by RR

Doug Albertson DAlbertson at belchertown.org
Tue Jul 5 11:33:54 EDT 2022

Hi experts and observers,

I know the answer but want to see if any of you has an alternative truth.  The property owner's house has adequate frontage and area.  Behind it is the railroad owned in fee by the RR.  Then the owner's next property of 35 acres with no frontage.  There is an existing RoW crossing over the RR between the two.  The owner wants to know, of course, if he can create a building lot for his daughter on the rear parcel.  The first one of you who responds with "You've been doing this for 30 years and you have to ask?!?" is removed from my will.

Are there any particular insights regarding railroad properties that would add radical variables to what should be an outright "no"?

Doug

Douglas Albertson
Town Planner
Town of Belchertown