[Massplanners] George Galster: Making Our Neighborhoods, Making Ourselves (1/26 at MIT and online)

Ezra Haber Glenn eglenn at mit.edu
Wed Jan 19 09:58:42 EST 2022

Please register and join us at MIT or on zoom for this special book
talk event on Wed 1/26 @ 2PM:

George Galster: Making Our Neighborhoods, Making Ourselves
Wed 1/26/22 @ 2-3PM
MIT 9-255 + zoom

Please join us on January 26th at 2:00pm for a talk by George Galster,
who will discuss his newest book, Making Our Neighborhoods, Making Our
Selves. His presentation will be followed by a Q+A and books will be
available for purchase. Cosponsored by the MIT Department of Urban
Studies and Planning and Harvard’s Joint Center for Housing Studies.

The event will be "hybrid" format, on zoom and in-person in MIT room 9-
255 (see https://whereis.mit.edu/?go=9). Both remote and in-person
attendees must register:

- Zoom/Remote Registration:
https://mit.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMscOGtqjstHtX_4VDByhVtARjJkKty3L3A

- In-Person Registration:
https://tim-tickets.atlas-apps.mit.edu/9U4TgSmxExYfWNKK8

Abstract:
Urban theorists have tried for decades to define exactly what a
neighborhood is. But behind that daunting existential question lies a
much murkier problem: never mind how you define them—how do you make
neighborhoods productive and fair for their residents? In Making Our
Neighborhoods, Making Our Selves, George Galster delves deep into the
question of whether American neighborhoods are as efficient and
equitable as they could be—socially, financially, and emotionally—and,
if not, what we can do to change that. Galster aims to redefine the
relationship between places and people, promoting specific policies
that reduce inequalities in housing markets and beyond. Drawing on
economics, sociology, geography, and psychology, Making Our
Neighborhoods, Making Our Selves delivers a clear-sighted explanation
of what neighborhoods are, how they come to be—and what they should be.

About the Author:
George C. Galster is the Clarence Hilberry Professor of Urban Affairs
and distinguished professor emeritus in the Department of Urban Studies
and Planning at Wayne State University. Galster has published numerous
articles and book chapters on topics ranging from metropolitan housing
markets, racial discrimination and segregation, neighborhood dynamics,
residential reinvestment, community lending and insurance patterns,
neighborhood effects, and urban poverty.
--
Ezra Haber Glenn, AICP
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
eglenn at mit.edu
617.721.7131 (c)

 - on the web:
   http://dusp.mit.edu/faculty/ezra-glenn