[Massplanners] Operating Rules for Planning Boards

Carolyn Britt cbritt at communityinvestment.net
Tue Jan 11 14:10:52 EST 2022

All,

Having worked as a planner for a number of years, I now find myself as
Chair of the Ipswich Planning Board. I think that position is more
challenging than the professional planner role. We now find ourselves
having too many special permit applications, with three projects being
proposed that either have aggressive applicants or are very
controversial in town. Our meetings, which start at 7pm, have been going
to 12 or 12:30am. Some of the reactions by applicants have been quite
aggressive and inappropriate. The context of a Zoom meeting makes it
especially challenging to control the meeting, and there is no longer
the presence of others to tone down people's actions. Has anyone ever
muted an applicant??

As a result, we are beginning to put together  operating procedures for
the Planning Board, so we at least have an agreement amongst ourselves
what are appropriate ways to control and steer the conversation, and
respond to inappropriate comments, or endless rants. We are also looking
at standard procedures for working through application review, including
setting time limits on certain presentations.

Have any of your departments or Planning Boards developed operating
procedures for project review and guiding meetings that you could share
with us?  I will also check some of my favorite municipal websites and
also CPTC resources. If you have developed such a document I would
appreciate it by tomorrow - we will be having our first conversation
about this tomorrow evening.

As always, thank you.

Carolyn

Carolyn Britt, AICP