[Massplanners] Planning Board Ability to Waive Portions of a Protective Zoning By-law

Bob Mitchell mitchellfaicp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 16:37:00 EST 2022

Greetings from one of the "Bobs"🙂. Regarding the ability to "waive"
provisions of a zoning bylaw/ordinance, Jeff and Richard are correct. There
needs to be specific language in the Bylaw as to what provisions can be
"waived" by a board (planning or zoning board.), under what
circumstances,or by what criteria. There is no "blanket" authority to do so.

It is very common that towns have language in the site plan review and/or
their special permit sections that allow for board waivers, especially for
submission requirements, including whether a submission is needed in
certain circumstances or not. Other common waivers you may see in bylaws
include topics as parking requirements, or landscaping requirements etc.

As an aside, many communities have a two-tiered site plan review process,
with a "Minor SPR" procedure for small projects with few or no impacts. A
Minor procedure would require much less in the way of submission
requirements and may also offer a shorter review timeline. Large projects
would go through the "Major SPR" process. If your SPR procedure is so
cumbersome, you might consider revising it, and/or adopting a two-tiered
system.

Without knowing all of the details and specifics of the auto body shop
situation, Jeff's and Richard's questions are appropriate to consider in
deciding how to proceed.

Bob Mitchell FAICP
Planning Consultant
Land Use, Planning, Zoning, & Training Programs
151 Tremont Street Suite 23A
Boston, MA 02111
617-512-9751 (c)
MitchellFAICP at gmail.com