[Massplanners] Drought Tolerant Landscaping Requirements

Rebecca Bachand rebecca.bachand at rbladesign.com
Tue Aug 23 11:10:13 EDT 2022

The City of Boston requires that new buildings be LEED Certifiable. Under
the HOMES rating system, points may be earned for limiting turf, using
native plants, and only using irrigation for the first year after
installation. This has led to most of my planting designs being primarily
native and drought tolerant species, with very little lawn grass used.

If we could get someone to start growing native turf grasses into sod, it
would be easier to shift clients toward drought tolerant (and more
pollinator-friendly) lawns...

*Rebecca Bachand*, PLA, LEED AP

781-686-4486

*RBLA Design LLC*

rebecca at rbladesign.com

<rebecca at rbladesign.com>rbladesign.com

*Massachusetts WBE Certified*

*DBE Certified in Massachusetts, Rhode Island & New Hampshire*

Member of *CREW Boston*