[Massplanners] Question - In-person board meeting with remote participation and quorum issue

Daniel Amstutz DAmstutz at town.arlington.ma.us
Mon Aug 22 11:11:25 EDT 2022

Note that the provisions to allow for remote meetings was extended until the
end of March, 2023, not July. See: https://www.mass.gov/the-open-meeting-law

The answer to your question is probably answered on the summary on the
website, in part: "Specifically, this extension allows public bodies to
continue holding meetings remotely without a quorum of the public body
physically present at a meeting location, and to provide "adequate,
alternative" access to remote meetings."

I would personally be wary of allowing committee/board members to
participate remotely without advertising it as such to allow the public to
also participate remotely. In Arlington, we are generally doing either
totally remote or totally in person, due to the challenges of attempting to
go hybrid. Only the Select Board has really attempted to be remote because
they have the proper meeting facilities and staff to make it work.

Daniel Amstutz, AICP
Senior Transportation Planner
Department of Planning & Community Development
Town of Arlington
730 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476
(781) 316-3093
damstutz at town.arlington.ma.us

*Arlington values equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to
building a community where everyone is heard, respected, and protected.*