[Massplanners] Question - In-person board meeting with remote participation and quorum issue

Matthew Heins mheins at townofpembrokemass.org
Mon Aug 22 10:36:08 EDT 2022

Dear MassPlanners,

In the old days before Covid, I recall that it was allowable for one board member to participate remotely in a board meeting (under certain rules and restrictions, of course), provided that a quorum of the board was still physically present at the meeting. Then with Covid, of course, entirely remote meetings became allowed, and I believe that state legislation was recently extended in mid-July. So my understanding is that entirely remote meetings (or hybrid meetings) are still allowed.

Now here's my question: If we specify on the agenda that a planning board or zoning board meeting is taking place in person (with no mention of it being remote or hybrid, and no mention of a remote option), is it allowable (under the current rules) if we don't have a quorum physically present, but we do have a quorum counting both those participating remotely and those physically present?

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Best,

Matthew Heins
Planning Board Assistant
Town of Pembroke
Email: mheins at townofpembrokemass.org<mailto:mheins at townofpembrokemass.org>
Phone: 781-709-1433 / Fax: 781-709-1453
Address: Office of the Planning Board, Pembroke Town Hall, 100 Center St., Pembroke, MA 02359

This electronic message is confidential and intended for the named recipient only. Any dissemination, disclosure or distribution of the contents of this communication is unlawful and prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact by return email or telephone (781-709-1433), and delete the copy you received. Thank you.