[Massplanners] Property Taxes

Chris Skelly ccskelly12 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:13:49 EDT 2022

Chris, I would add the distinction on municipal revenue that it isn’t just
based on residential, commercial or industrial.  Rather, there is a huge
revenue distinction between single family homes and denser mixed-use
housing/missing middle housing.

The StrongTowns study noted below makes the case on how denser residential
neighborhoods end up subsidizing single family neighborhoods because the
single family neighborhoods don’t pay for all the services and capital
needs over time.

Suburbia is Subsidized: Here's the Math

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2020/4/16/when-apartment-dwellers-subsidize-suburban-homeowners

Some others to watch:

Why American Cities Are Broke - The Growth Ponzi Scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsMeKl-Sv0

The Suburbs Are Bleeding America Dry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfsCniN7Nsc&t=17s

Not Just Bikes (based in Amsterdam) and ClimateTown are two of my favorite
youtube channels.

*Chris Skelly*
*Skelly Preservation Services*
Community Planning and Preservation