[Massplanners] BEDC course?

Dana Spang Menon despang at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:14:12 EDT 2022

Hello MassPlanners,

First time writer, long-time reader.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any insights into the BEDC (Basic Economic
Development Course), accredited by the IEDC, and run by various regional
economic development organizations.  There is a 4-day course being offered
in Albany by the NYSEDC at the end of June, and I am wondering if it would
be worth the investment for my particular needs.

I came into the planning profession via Landscape Architecture, and in my
transition to planning I have primarily worked with land use planning.  I
am currently a planning department of one in a small town.  My role is a
bit unusual in that my position does not support the planning or zoning
boards, but works with strategic planning, economic development, housing,
and sustainability initiatives.

I do not expect to become an economic development expert through a 4-day
course.  I DO hope to gain a better understanding of tools, trends, and
best practices that could be utilized in our small town to identify and
explore potential ED strategies, leverage grant opportunities, and
undertake both consultant-led projects and home-grown volunteer-driven
initiatives.

Thanks!

Dana Menon
Town Planner, Essex