[Massplanners] Shared Streets and Spaces Grant Program

Angus, Neil neilangus at devensec.com
Fri Sep 24 12:51:13 EDT 2021

Just wanted to make sure you all saw the latest Massachusetts Planning, with an article on the Shared Streets and Spaces Program. I hope it's a useful resource. See https://www.apa-ma.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/MA-Planning-F21.pdf

If you are interested in writing for a future edition of the magazine, we welcome articles of interest to other planners. What's working in your community? What keeps you up at night? Email me for guidelines, etc.

---
Peter Lowitt, FAICP
Editor
MASS APA Magazine
peterlowitt at devensec.com

Doug,

Milton has had some success with the Shared Streets and Spaces program, winning three grants. The first, which was before my time, was to assist a local business with outdoor seating.

The second was to design and pilot a road diet on Brook Road, which carries part of Route 28 through Milton and is a primary east-west connector in Town. We got design services from Stantec and money to stripe bike lanes and parking lanes, reducing Brook Road from four lanes to two lanes. We?re ready to make this a permanent change.

In the last round, we got a few thousand bucks to purchase bike racks through the MAPC collective purchasing program to place at various schools and park facilities in Town.

My advice sounds self-evident but bears repeating anyway: look at the existing planning you?ve got and make the connection with your grant proposal. The Brook Road road diet was a high-priority item in our Complete Streets Prioritization Plan; a fair amount of thinking had already gone into the idea, and the Shared Streets grant was an opportunity to pilot it. The bike racks were short money, but we still made the connection to our Master Plan, which calls for increasing opportunities for alternative modes of transportation.