[Massplanners] OSRP Implementation?

DAVID ROBBINS robbins.dave at verizon.net
Mon Oct 18 15:27:10 EDT 2021

Interesting you should ask — Grafton faced the same question as we completed our OSRP update earlier this year.

In the interest of seeing the OSRP action plan implemented, we wanted as much of the work as possible to be done by existing boards and committees, and set it up as follows:

1. For each action item, an existing board or committee should be given primary responsibility for implementation, coordinating as needed with other boards and committees that were identified as having some responsibility for or involvement in that item.

2. To provide overall coordination and monitoring of the implementation progress, we created a new OSRP coordinating committee whose responsibility is (1) identifying the board/committee with primary responsibility for each action item (in hindsight, this should have been done as part of creating the action plan) and (2) periodically getting updates from the responsible boards/committees and reporting to the public on the implementation progress. We considered whether an existing board or committee could take on this coordination work, but decided that it wasn’t a good fit for any existing body. This committee, after initial setup work, is probably going to be meeting once or twice a year.

We are just now getting this oversight committee started, so it remains to be seen how well this will work out, but it seems promising.

Cheers,
Dave Robbins
Grafton Planning Board
(and Chair of the OSRP committee that just completed the update)