[Massplanners] How to convince voters to allow accessory apartments?

Paige paigeplanner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:48:27 EDT 2021

Good morning all,

Here in Foxborough we are going to be voting on whether to expand the
current inlaw apartment bylaw to allow non-relatives to rent an ADU.
Sounds simple, right?  NOT!  Folks insist this is creating multi-family
housing in a single family district.

We have been engaged in a conversation on housing for 2+ years now and I
know we will get push back on this effort.  I'm not sure we will get the
required 2/3 vote (since we allow over 900 SF for our ADUs we don't qualify
for the majority vote).

Does anyone have any outreach, PR or data that I could use at the public
hearing tomorrow night to inform residents on why allowing attached ADUs to
be rented to non-relatives would be wise for Foxborough?

Any case studies on how many ADUs were created once a similar provision was
adopted in another town?

I think the "selling" of housing solutions is the hardest part of all of
this.  Folks are so resistant, at least out here in the suburbs.  Any
information or handouts or anything to make residents less afraid of this
change would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Paige Duncan, AICP
Planning Director for the Town of Foxborough, MA

--

Paige E. Duncan, AICP, Planning Director

pduncan at foxboroughma.gov