[Massplanners] Overlay District for Cannabis growers

Judy Markland jmarkland at lmstrategies.com
Sat Oct 9 10:30:16 EDT 2021

Richard,
In Whately, which is an agricultural community, we have permitted three cannabis cultivators, although none of them are yet into production.  We do not have an overlay district, but allow cultivation - both indoor and outdoor - with a special permit and site plan review.  There are many issues.
The first question to be asked is whether this is to be outdoor (open air) cultivation like the hemp, or indoor in a building or greenhouse.  Most cannabis is grown indoors in a highly controlled environment to satisfy the state regulations and optimize growing conditions - and allow year round production.  Cannabis likes a relatively short growing day, so even outdoors will need to be shaded for part of the day.  The high fixed expenses of operation don’t really make just outdoor cultivation very feasible either.
The main issues we’ve found are odor control, energy consumption, water use, and depending on the size of the indoor cultivation structures (they can cover many acres), runoff and drainage.  Our bylaw distinguishes between the two types and also limits the size of any indoor cultivation facilities.
Be aware that the CCC defines “outdoor cultivation” to be any type of marijuana production that doesn’t use horticultural growing lights, so it can include growing in greenhouses.
Judy Markland
Whately Planning Board

Sent from my iPad