[Massplanners] FW: FW: Cost of Using Prevailing Wage Rates

Dan Fortier dfortier at town.dennis.ma.us
Fri Oct 8 14:41:48 EDT 2021

Katrina, Harry

Kind of addressing both questions at once, Katrina, if the sidewalks are on public property, I do not see any way it would be anything but a public project, and subject to bidding processes and prevailing wage. If they are on private property, such as ways not yet accepted by the town, if the town is doing them, again, probably subject to the same process and prevailing wage. If residents want a sidewalk on a private way, it would be cheaper for them to contract directly for such work.

Now, circling back to Harry’s question, if the sidewalks are on private property, such as a requirement of a subdivision, but were not constructed as required, the work can be done more reasonably for the residents of the subdivision if they took on the soliciting and overseeing the work rather than the town. Adding costs to a project, because we undertook a project, and having to charge a betterment for the work, is only going to drive up the costs for those living on the street. Is that cost reasonable? I do see both sides, for the workers, of course fair wages are needed, for a town where well over half the population is 60+, this could create a significant burden for their street to become properly pedestrian accessible. I do not see it as circumventing the law, I see it as providing residents with their options. So far, in Dennis, when a road project comes up on a private way, the residents are asking the town to oversee the work and accepting the betterments, placing the project under prevailing wage. But, the residents on the street are always informed of their options.

Dan Fortier
Dennis Town Planner