[Massplanners] FW: Cost of Using Prevailing Wage Rates

Harry LaCortiglia hlacortiglia at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 09:53:34 EDT 2021

Not really a Friday Question but...

Has anyone factored in the long term human cost of sidestepping the
prevailing wage rate?

While there is certainly a powerful argument for saving every last dime
of taxpayer monies as possible, perpetuating a race to the bottom has
dire consequences for those who work in the building industries. Given
that these individuals are frequently on the lower rungs of the
socioeconomic ladder to begin with, are we not becoming part of the
problem by participating in schemes that allow for the avoidance of the
Prevailing Wage Laws?

Should local government employees (Planners, Economic Development
Co-ordinators, etc.) really be the driving force, and the providers of a
mechanism, to circumvent laws that were put into place to ensure a that
a living wage is paid to the people who actually do this kind of work?

 From a moral perspective, how do we advocate and promote the idea of
driving wages down to the point where the person actually making that
sidewalk works all week long, but makes so little that they qualify for
food stamps?

Aren't we supposed to be looking at the big picture?

H. LaCortiglia
Georgetown P.B.