[Massplanners] OSRD Focus Groups

Christopher Ryan cryan at harvard-ma.gov
Mon Nov 1 15:30:34 EDT 2021

Hi all --

Our OSRD efforts were interrupted by the pandemic (imagine that) and we're picking back up again after taking a little detour on senior housing. One of the steps I wanted to take that I was not able to get to before the pause was to hold several focus groups to get into a little detail regarding our specific bylaw approach. With that in mind, I wanted to put out the call to see if members of the listserv might be interested in participating. Here are the focus groups I am looking to facilitate:

[1] Professional Planners - Looking to see if I can get 7-10 planners who would be willing to take a look at the bylaw and discuss some of the elements from your perspective as one who would review submissions and also whether you think it meets the overall goals without going too far (or not far enough).

[2] Designers and Engineers - Civil engineers, architects, and urban designers from the perspective of someone who would try to understand, design for, and submit based on the draft bylaws. Looking for any issues or problems you might see in its current form.

[3] Developers and RE Finance Folks - Again from their unique perspective in funding or developing OSRD and conventional projects.

I may look to do something for residents, maybe a focus group, maybe an open house, but I haven't settled on that yet.

One final point, pretty critical to us. If you have some thoughts or want to discuss the unique water/wastewater issues associated with rural OSRD, I am all ears. Maybe it can be a part of the focus group...or perhaps a separate discussion. Right now we're focusing on having a condominiumized model so we can have shared systems under Title V....no separate house lots. If you feel that is too limiting and there are other innovative approaches, LMK.

So if you're interested in participating, please drop me an email and I'll put you on the list. Looking to hold one each in Dec, Jan, and Feb.

Thanks in advance...and happy holidays!

Chris

Christopher J. Ryan, AICP
Director of Community and Economic Development
Town of Harvard
13 Ayer Road
Harvard, MA  01451
Tel: 978.456.4100 x.323
Email: cryan at harvard-ma.gov<mailto:cryan at harvard-ma.gov>
Web: http://www.harvard-ma.gov<http://www.harvard-ma.gov/>

**Please note new email address and domain as of 9/1/21
email is now cryan at harvard-ma.gov<mailto:cryan at harvard-ma.gov>. Please change in your
contacts list.