[Massplanners] Chickens and other non-traditional household animal requirements

THOMAS FUDALA tomfudala at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 19:58:45 EDT 2021

Check with the Mashpee Board of Health for recent strict regulations on chickens. Glen Harrington is Health Agent gharrington at mashpeema.gov mailto:gharrington at mashpeema.gov . Regs. were adopted in response to growing rat problem. I can testify, as I had a coop out back with a dozen chickens. A couple died off, one unreachable under the coop. Disappeared without a trace of feathers, bones etc. and lumpy ground in yard. Didn't realize, until Health Dept talked of new regs, that I had rats in my yard! Yuck.

Our zoning prohibits swine (no farms around here) and limits # of chickens etc. The listing for what is allowed, by special permit, is found in our Table of Uses:
"The raising or housing of livestock for sale or profit, but not swine, or of poultry where more than twenty-four (24) birds are kept on a parcel of land containing less than five (5) acres, provided that any building housing livestock or poultry is not less than fifty (50) feet from the property boundary".

Tom Fudala, AICP
Mashpee (retired)

p.s. My middle daughter lives in Pittsfield (her boyfriend runs the power plant), so make it great!

p.p.s. Have you fixed that city garage yet?