[Massplanners] S2475

Harry LaCortiglia hlacortiglia at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 10:05:31 EDT 2021

Hi Richard,

Respectfully, you're wrong.

My read is that for Hearings, virtual is ok provided we allow for
"Participation".

We've been conducting Hearings this way via Zoom for months now. The
Public posting of the Meeting on the town website provides a link and a
phone number for anyone who wishes to join us. We've conducted Hearings
with participation of well over a hundred citizens. When Public comment
time comes, folks hold their virtual hands up for recognition by the
Chair. They are then un-muted and provide testimony or ask questions.
(It's actually working far better than I had anticipated.)

This latest extension language from the legislature and signed by the
Governor is below. (Please excuse the line numbers and the crude paste
job...)

I do recognize that some communities may be using a Remote Participation
Application that doesn't allow for the public to join them without a
specific invitation. If that's the case, then you're up the creek... or
more accurately, you're in the real world meeting room again. ;)

Good Luck,

H. LaCortiglia

Chairman Georgetown P.B>

138 SECTION 20. (a) For the purposes of this section, “adequate,
alternative means of public
139 access” shall mean measures that provide transparency and permit
timely and effective public
140 access to the deliberations of the public body, including, but not
limited to, providing public
141 access through telephone, internet, satellite enabled audio or video
conferencing or any other
142 technology that enables the public to clearly follow the proceedings
of the public body while
143 those activities are occurring.
144 (b) Notwithstanding section 20 of chapter 30A of the General Laws or
any general or
145 special law to the contrary, a public body, as defined in section 18
of said chapter 30A, shall not
146 be required to conduct its meetings in a public place that is open
and physically accessible to the
147 public; provided, that if the public body does not conduct the
meeting in a public place that is
148 open and physically accessible to the public, the public body shall
ensure public access to the
149 deliberations of the public body for interested members of the
public through adequate,
150 alternative means of public access. Where active, real-time
participation by members of the
151 public is a specific requirement of a general or special law,
regulation or a local ordinance or by-
152 law, pursuant to which the proceeding is conducted, any adequate,
alternative means of public
153 access shall provide for such participation and shall be sufficient
to meet such participation
154 requirement. A municipal public body that for reasons of economic
hardship and despite best
155 efforts is unable to provide adequate, alternative means of public
access that will enable the
156 public to follow the proceedings of the municipal public body as
those activities are occurring in
157 real time may instead post on its municipal website a full and
complete transcript, recording or
158 other comprehensive record of the proceedings as soon as practicable
upon conclusion of the
159 proceedings. This paragraph shall not apply to proceedings that are
conducted pursuant to a
160 general or special law, regulation or a local ordinance or by-law
that requires allowance for
161 active participation by members of the public. A public body shall
offer its selected adequate,
162 alternative means of public access to its proceedings without
subscription, toll or similar charge
163 to the public.
164 (c) Notwithstanding subsection (d) of section 20 of chapter 30A of
the General Laws or
165 any other general or special law to the contrary, a public body may
allow remote participation by
166 all members in any meeting of the public body and a quorum of the
body and the chair shall not
167 be required to be physically present at a specified meeting location.
168 (d) A public body that elects to conduct its proceedings under this
section shall ensure
169 that any party entitled or required to appear before it shall be
able to appear through remote
170 means, as if the party were a member of the public body and
participating remotely as provided
171 in subsection (b).
172 (e) All other provisions of sections 18 to 25 of chapter 30A of the
General Laws and the
173 attorney general’s implementing regulations shall otherwise remain
unchanged and fully
174 applicable to the activities of public bodies.
175 (f) Notwithstanding said section 20 of said chapter 30A, if this
section does not take
176 effect until after June 15, 2021, a public body may provide for
remote meetings as specified in
177 this section and any action taken thereof shall be ratified,
validated and confirmed as if this
178 section had been in place.