[Massplanners] Board & Committee Recognition

Katrina O'leary katrina.oleary at middletonma.gov
Thu Jun 17 09:51:12 EDT 2021

Greetings.
Do any towns have:

  *   Ways to show appreciation to their volunteer boards and committees other than payment?
  *   Required training for anyone that wants to join a board or committee?

In Middleton we have a shortage of people that want to volunteer for our boards and committees.  I just had 3 of my Planning Board members resign for various reasons (moving, job, new Select person) and we are in the middle of reviewing a subdivision.  I'm thankful we did have two alternates that have attended the public hearings or signed Mullins forms for the application - but we are really stretched thin right now.  I think we need to encourage more residents to step up and serve.  I know "required training" is possibly counter intuitive to encouraging people to step up - but I do think we need to develop a training program, too.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Katrina O'Leary, AICP
Middleton Town Planner
195 North Main Street     Middleton, MA   01949     PH: (978)777-8917
When responding, please be aware that the Massachusetts Secretary of State has determined that most email is public record and, therefore, cannot be kept confidential.