[Massplanners] freestanding battery energy storage systems

Buck, Michelle BuckM at leicesterma.org
Wed Jul 28 14:10:37 EDT 2021

Leicester has received a zoning interpretation request from a company arguing that a free-standing battery energy storage system (ESS) could be allowed as a "solar energy system" as it will store energy produce from solar projects elsewhere.  Though we have many ground-mounted solar facilities in Leicester, so far they've only had minor ancillary battery storage (on-site).
How have other communities handled permitting of free-standing battery storage facilities?  My initial thought is that it's an entirely new use and we'd have to amend our bylaw to allow, but I'd like to know how other communities have addressed this.
Michelle

Michelle R. Buck, AICP
Leicester Town Planner/Director of Inspectional Services
508-892-7007
buckm at leicesterma.org<mailto:buckm at leicesterma.org>
Please note that Leicester Town Hall is closed on Fridays.