[Massplanners] Private roads???

Daniel Amstutz DAmstutz at town.arlington.ma.us
Wed Dec 8 15:26:46 EST 2021

All,

The Town of Arlington frequently addresses concerns about private ways, as
we have a significant number of private ways throughout town (21 miles or
about 15% of our total roadway mileage). A few years ago, in relation to a
question/issue with a particular street, our Town Counsel provided a memo to
our Select Board (formerly Board of Selectmen) that went over the history
and legal standing of private ways -- see attached.

In general, the private ways most of us deal with are "statutory" private
ways where the public has legal access to use them, but they are privately
maintained. There are specific allowances in state law for specific kinds of
maintenance done with public money, snow plowing in particular, and there is
a "betterment" process to allow a municipality to pave a road and charge the
local abutters/private way owners over a period of time. The attached
document provides more backstory and references the legal standard better
than I can. I am not an attorney, so for your own purposes you should
consult your Town Counsel. Note that this memo is in reference a town
meeting form of government and may not entirely apply to cities.

See also, Arlington's Town Bylaws - "Repairs to Private Ways"
https://www.arlingtonma.gov/town-governance/laws-and-regulations/town-bylaws/title-iii-public-and-private-ways#A3

This process is managed through our Select Board office, so please contact
them should you have any questions.

Best,

Daniel Amstutz, AICP
Senior Transportation Planner
Department of Planning & Community Development
Town of Arlington
730 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02476
(781) 316-3093
damstutz at town.arlington.ma.us

*Arlington values equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to
building a community where everyone is heard, respected, and protected.*