[Massplanners] ANR & Law Revocation Question

George Proakis george at fenmore.com
Mon Aug 16 19:33:23 EDT 2021

Indeed, Somerville opted out in 1993.  First the City claimed it had never accepted the law, but then lost a case where a judge determined that the City was subject to subdivision control.  So in 1993 the City got a home rule petition approved, and, per Section 288 of the Acts of 1993, Somerville has no subdivision control law.

Follow the link and scroll down: https://archives.lib.state.ma.us/bitstream/handle/2452/26303/1993acts0288.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y <https://archives.lib.state.ma.us/bitstream/handle/2452/26303/1993acts0288.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y>

As Jeff notes, Somerville then reviewed subdivisions through a form of site plan review, claiming that subdivision need to go through that process to be valid for zoning purposes under the code.  We’ve carried this through to the new Somerville zoning, that has different levels of administrative review (planning director or planning board) to split lots, combine lots, change lot lines or build new lots with new roads.

In 2012 the Land Court essentially affirmed our process in the only case where I’ve seen it tested (MLM Realty Trust vs Somerville).  In that case, the Planning Board denied the site plan review for a simple spilt of a lot (what would be an ANR in any other community). The Land Court judge remanded it back to Planning Board and reminded them that they could not deny a site plan review, but that they were permitted to put reasonable conditions on the approval.  To me, as Planning Director at the time, that was a big win for the City.  I didn’t expect the court to let a denial of a site plan review to stand.  We advised the Planning Board that they couldn’t deny it.  But, the court did affirm our use of the process and permit the Board to put conditions on the approval.

What that means for other communities, I don’t know.  Since the home-rule is a one-off thing, I don’t think this provides any precedent for any other community. Not sure if the legislature would let a home-rule like this pass today.  But, if another community submits one, I suggest being more clear about what a local government CAN do, rather than leaving that detail unclear in the home-rule language (as we did in 1993).

George Proakis,
OSPCD Executive Director, City of Somerville