[Massplanners] Weekly update on MBTA Communities zoning 5-8-24

Kluchman, Chris (EOHLC) Chris.Kluchman at mass.gov
Wed May 8 16:46:42 EDT 2024

Good afternoon Massachusetts Planners, advocates and local officials.  Here is this week's update about local governments that are approving zoning intended to comply with the MBTA Communities law.  As of today, there are at least 57 such municipalities!!  Only 7 towns have seen zoning measures fail.  EOHLC has a "status table" on our website which is updated every Friday that tracks this information that you can access here<https://www.mass.gov/info-details/multi-family-zoning-requirement-for-mbta-communities#complying-with-section-3a-guidelines-> (scroll down a bit to find that table).

Municipalities that have approved zoning to comply with MBTA Communities law (bold font indicates new additions this week):

  1.  Abington
  2.  Acton
  3.  Andover
  4.  Arlington
  5.  Auburn
  6.  Bedford
  7.  Braintree
  8.  Bridgewater
  9.  Brookline
  10. Cambridge
  11. Chelsea
  12. Chelmsford
  13. Concord
  14. Danvers
  15. Dedham
  16. Essex
  17. Everett
  18. Grafton
  19. Harvard
  20. Haverhill
  21. Hingham
  22. Lexington
  23. Lincoln
  24. Littleton
  25. Lowell
  26. Malden
  27. Medfield
  28. Medford
  29. Newbury
  30. Newton
  31. Northborough
  32. Northbridge
  33. Norwood
  34. Pembroke
  35. Plymouth
  36. Quincy
  37. Revere
  38. Rockland
  39. Rockport
  40. Salem
  41. Scituate
  42. Sharon
  43. Somerville
  44. Stoneham
  45. Sudbury
  46. Taunton
  47. Topsfield
  48. Tyngsborough
  49. Walpole
  50. Wareham
  51. Wellesley
  52. Westborough
  53. Westford
  54. Westwood
  55. Weymouth
  56. Whitman
  57. Winchester

If your community should be on this list, please let us know at eohlc3A at mass.gov<mailto:eohlc3A at mass.gov>!
Municipalities where zoning for MBTA Communities has not passed: (bold font indicates new additions this week):

  1.  Hanson
  2.  Marblehead
  3.  Marshfield
  4.  Milton
  5.  Norwell
  6.  Rowley
  7.  Wakefield

Note: Littleton is removed from this list because their Spring Town Meeting 2024 approved zoning.

Chris Kluchman, FAICP (she/her)
Director, Livable Communities Division
Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities (EOHLC), 100 Cambridge Street, Ste 300
Boston, MA  02114
chris.kluchman at mass.gov

EOHLC staff are mostly working remotely. I check email regularly and will get back to you as soon as possible.