[Massplanners] Seasonal Dwelling Units

Daniel Fortier daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:42:55 EDT 2024

Will totally depend on your Zoning.  If you are trying to control how a
development can be used in one part of a Zoning District that would be
different in another part of that same District it will fail. Now in Dennis
there were cottage colonies that were first established under a provision
that essentially started them as "businesses legal in the Commonwealth."
When Zoning in these areas was adopted in 1973 these "businesses" as they
did not conform to the 1973 densities, or earlier standards of 5,000 sf per
dwelling,  they were restricted as seasonal.

In 2010 we adopted a Zoning provision specifically tied to these areas and
designated it a Seasonal Resort District. That Zoning specifically
restricts year round access. One Colony was redeveloped under the by-law,
Heritage Sands. It took an RV park and turned it into modern cottages.  Tax
value jumped from about $2 million to overb$60 million. The property is
accessible long enough for the residents to establish it as their residence
for voting but must be closed January through March.

Dan Fortier,  AICP
Retired Planner