[Massplanners] Zoning Review Committee

Panak, Victor PanakV at worcesterma.gov
Tue Jul 23 10:52:31 EDT 2024

Hi Doug,

Brookline has/had this – the Zoning By-law Committee. The success of the Committee depended a lot on the experience/expertise of its members. I think that a lot of good feedback on zoning articles came out of their meetings and since they were dedicated to their singular purpose, they had the time and commitment to dig very deep into the issues related to each zoning article. On the flip side, their existence probably caused the Planning Board to shed a bit of their responsibility (not sure that’s a good thing). The ZBLC also only meets a handful of times per year, right before Town Meeting, to review already-submitted articles. It’s a large Committee where almost every member also sits on other boards/committees so scheduling their ad-hoc meeting dates is a nightmare.

I strongly recommend that if you intend to create a similar committee, they should meet throughout the year to continually discuss possible improvements to the zoning ordinance/map and discuss the effects of recent changes or proposals that are bouncing around. I think that probably produces the most effective version of that committee. Of course, that’s usually the role of the Planning Board isn’t it? However, some of our Planning Boards are drowning in Site Plan Review, Design Review, Subdivisions, etc. and therefore can’t spend the time they need to continuously consider updates to zoning.

Victor Panak
Chief Planner
Executive Office of Economic Development | Planning & Regulatory Services Division
City of Worcester | 455 Main St., 4th Floor, Worcester, MA 01608
P: 508-799-1400 x31434
E: panakv at worcesterma.gov<mailto:panakv at worcesterma.gov> (preferred)
www.worcesterma.gov<http://www.worcesterma.gov/>

E-mail complete application submissions & revisions to: planning at worcesterma.gov<mailto:planning at worcesterma.gov>
Note: Revision deadline for board consideration is 1 week before a meeting;
revision deadline for receipt of staff comments is 10 days before a meeting.

[https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/ui/images1/visitor/email2_trans.gif]<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=d5hqdncab&p=oi&m=1102098997187>
-Sign-up to receive electronic board/commission agendas <https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/su/V6g4bwR/DPRS>
      -Sign-up to receive Worcester Now | Next e-updates<https://now-next.worcesterma.gov/get-involved/>