[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL]Mandatory Mixed Use - 3A Zoning Question

Jeffrey Robert Levine jrlevine at mit.edu
Thu Jul 18 10:25:36 EDT 2024

There are lots of communities completing 3A Economic Feasibility Analyses right now to keep their inclusionary zoning levels above 10% at 80% AMI. It’s not that different a process to look at a typical MMU project and see what size it needs to be to be feasible, though the commercial component will complicate the analysis a bit.

Spoiler, it will depend a lot on interest rates and construction costs. Because both are so high right now, this work would ideally focus on the change in viability by adding another story, not the absolute feasibility.

Jeff

Jeff Levine, AICP (he/him)
Associate Professor of the Practice
Program Head, Housing, Community & Economic Development
Department of Urban Studies & Planning
Room 9-511
jrlevine at mit.edu<mailto:jrlevine at mit.edu>
https://dusp.mit.edu/people/jeff-levine