[Massplanners] [EXTERNAL]Mandatory Mixed Use - 3A Zoning Question

daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com daniel.j.fortier at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 16:46:15 EDT 2024

Old retiree here, going to follow up on Amy and Bill’s comments, probably with stories, apologize in advance.

Market is everything, but financing trends also throw a monkey wrench in the equation at times as well. Going back to 2006 or so, had a commercial project, proposed with plenty of extra height and vacant attic space to be above 9,000 sf of commercial space. I had just had a talk with two local banks who were noting that commercial vacancy rates were climbing and they were afraid to lend to commercial projects without more rental housing being built. The Dennis Affordable Housing By-law was drafted to promote top of the shop housing, which the banks wanted to help us promote. Project got approved as 100% commercial even after I had advised the developer to consider second story housing. As his permit neared lapsing he came back to tell me I was right, he applied for the same building, with 8 rental units above. He had all 8 units rented before he had a single commercial tenant. Lesson, if there is no housing for employees, commercial floor space makes no sense and banks won’t provide funding. The follow-up, after he could only get two commercial units leased, and one skipped town sticking Subway with a franchisee mess, he came back and converted the entire building to residential, 18 units, under a different provision of the affordable housing by-law.

Obviously, in 2008 we had the financial collapse. Markets had to readjust. As we were working on a proposal that never got beyond the Economic Development Committee, the financial picture had changed. Banks were having even more difficulty justifying commercial loans with the amount of vacant commercial space. This was well before COVID. As we tried to craft a “mandatory’ mixed use district it became clear that we needed to be careful in the approach. The ultimate decision was for a Planned Unit Development approach to the entire district. If the three major land owners, all who were working with us, could get together and file a single master plan for the district (roads, utilities, greenways, approximate building footprints and architectural concepts) then they could construct based upon market demands and financing considerations, as long as the PUD was built out to not exceed the floorspace maximums for each type of use in the district. This was probably around 2015 or 2016, at that point a couple federal entities backing loans were not supporting loans to mixed use buildings for fear that vacant commercial space could harm the financial viability of a residential structure.

On this topic, I had provided my committee with a few business journal articles highlighting the evolving financing situation. Since we were zoning for an area that last had any real change in zoning in 1973 (which really just locked into place the approach for the area that dated back to the 1950’s) we figured that what we zoned had to adjust to market and financial approaches that might be in place long after we were all gone.

Finally, in Dennis Port and West Dennis, which have 3 story in the core, we only insisted that the frontage that faced Main Street (Route 28) be commercial, allowing residential to possibly include the ground floor behind the store fronts or fully residential elsewhere in the district.

I know none of these are in MBTA communities, but, all have built in flexibility to adjust to market conditions.

Dan Fortier, AICP

Retired Planner